Monday, January 20, 2020

In progress

For this project I wanted to continue the tradition of tool manufacturing as an aspect of metal working, and as a fundamental aspect of course being taught. However, since I already have a functional chipping hammer, I would like to make a 2.5 lb blacksmith hammer. This hammer will have strong references to my time as a smiths apprentice, by having classic metal scroll work adorning both sides of the hammer haft. In addition to crafting the form of the hammer I will test my ability to properly heat treat the head of the hammer in order to make it a truly functional tool for years to come.

Sketches of the hammer head, and the scroll work I will forge for the side of the hammer
Start of hammer creation. the hammer head
will be forged and modified to match the
drawn design. The scroll work will occupy
the metal haft of the hammer, and the handle will
likely have wooden scales to add visual
interest, and ergonomic comfort.
Overall sketch of hammer design




No comments:

Post a Comment