Monday, February 17, 2020

Progress

image of the pattern assembled with tape, to give
a sense of the overall shape
On Thursday I began breaking down my boots into a template, I then cut a few pieces of the template out of some thin gauge steel which I was able to practice shaping to get a feel for how the metal will respond to cold manipulation. This was a very good exploration as it proved to me that the template I had made was not even close to accurate enough, and that I need a more effective method for cutting the template out of metal so that the final boots will be more uniform. Over the weekend I fabricated a new more accurate pattern, while also taking into consideration some extra allowances for the metal seams compared to the original leather seam locations. After making clear plastic pattern pieces  (that was one way that I was able to break the boots into much more accurate pieces) I traced those template parts and cut them out of paper. With the paper pieces I was able to build a paper model of the boot, which enabled me to make alterations to the pattern to make it more successful. Then I rendered those shapes into vector files, so that they can be manipulated in Rhino, and other 3-D modeling software. I also spoke to Jamie in digi-fab about the best options for having those shapes plasma cut by the architecture CNC run plasma cutter. I feel this will reduce the potential for fabrication error and allow the parts to be as close to identical as possible for each boot. In addition I began 3-D modeling the texture on the bottom of the boot. This should enable me to CNC route that texture to make the boots as visually striking, and realistic as possible.

Conceptually, I have been thinking about the role of the wearer of the metal boots, and what the most appropriate documentation for this piece might be.  I have also been researching the use of bands like carhartt in defining an image of american working class, and how those bands are used to sell the idea of a certain lifestyle. 
The new template cut out of paper
I was unable to upload vector files to the blog, but this is a condensed Jpg of the vector pattern I made so that the template can be adjusted and scaled on the computer. This file type can also be used on the CNC plasma cutter in architecture to cut the shapes from metal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment